processor ressources
Alexandre DELAY
2007-04-24 21:32:06 UTC

I would like some more informations about ressources uses by SFS.
I need to set up a network filesystem server for about 300 client computers
(2To of datas)
Will I have enough processor or memory ressources? How can I calculate it?

Thanks

Cheers

Alex
Martin
2007-04-29 15:51:50 UTC
Post by Alexandre DELAY
Hi,
I would like some more informations about ressources uses by SFS.
I need to set up a network filesystem server for about 300 client
computers (2To of datas)
Will I have enough processor or memory ressources?
That depends on lots of things, including how active the clients are,
what range of the data in in use at any one time, access patterns, what
you consider to be 'acceptable' performance, etc.
Post by Alexandre DELAY
How can I calculate it?
I suspect it can't be done. I would suggest that you build a small test
system and slowly increase the number of clients using it. Once you
know what the CPU/mem requirements for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 machines
are then it should be reasonably easy to extrapolate this curve out.
Don't forget to make sure that the storage array backing the system has
enough bandwidth.

HTH

Cheers,
- Martin